Marijuana, also known as cannabis, is a psychoactive drug extracted from cannabis plants. It is used for medical or recreational purposes. The use of marijuana has always been a controversial issue in the US. However, the legalization of cannabis for medical and recreational purposes in some of the states has spurred celebrations among users. Cannabis stores in Cotati can provide cannabis for both recreational and medicinal purposes.
History of Marijuana in the US
To understand the positive effects of marijuana for recreational and medicinal purposes, you need to go back in time. You may not know it, but in 1619, in some states such as Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, cannabis was the legal tender. In fact, the Virginia Assembly passed a law that made it mandatory for every farmer in the state to cultivate hemp.
The US also witnessed a spread of hemp cultivation after the end of the Civil War, and by the time the 19th century drew to a close, cannabis became a common ingredient in medicinal products. These products were sold in pharmacies, and ordinary people could buy them.
The 20th Century and Marijuana Usage
The Pure Food and Drug Act was passed in 1906 to regulate misbranded medicines, drugs, food items, and liquors. Marijuana was one of the drugs that was regulated after the passing of this Act. The Federal Bureau of Narcotics, which was created in 1930, made marijuana illegal in 1931, banning it from 29 states of the US.
However, the passage of the Uniform State Act in 1932 left it up to the state governments to control crimes associated with marijuana usage. However, when the Second World War broke out, the US witnessed a decline in marijuana import. This prompted the US Department of Agriculture to start a program to encourage farmers to grow hemp. Those who did it were given deferment, allowing them to stay back and cultivate the plant rather than going to the front. As a result, by 1943, nearly 375,000 acres in the US were used for hemp cultivation.
In the 1960s, marijuana was classified separately from other narcotics, and by this time, it was a common recreational drug among the upper and middle-class Americans. As a result, people found with marijuana were no longer given mandatory federal sentence. Around this time, pot was also viewed as a way among young people, who were against the Vietnam War, to protest against the government. They used pot to experience the exhilarating high, and chants of “Make Love and Not War” resounded across the length and breadth of the US.
Usage of Marijuana Today
Today, marijuana is one of the most commonly used substances in the US. Nearly 94 million people have acknowledged in a survey that they have used cannabis at least once in their lifetime.
One of the main reasons for high adoption levels of cannabis is the high that it offers. This can help people forget their pain, anger, fear, and regret. Many people also use marijuana as a way to combat chronic pain. However, it is the recreational usage of marijuana that is popular, and people spend close to a total of $10.5 billion annually on marijuana. The popularity of marijuana also stems from the fact that people consider it a soft and natural drug. It is estimated that in the United States, over 20 million people are active users of cannabis for recreational and medical reasons.
Usage of marijuana in the US is still a contentious issue because many people, including law enforcement and the judiciary, have mixed feelings about the legality and effects of marijuana.
Benefits of Using Marijuana for Recreational Purposes
Marijuana is usually sold in the form of dried leaves so that it can be directly smoked, but it is also available as edibles. There are many positive effects of using cannabis such as:
- Marijuana can help people open up, reveal their thoughts, and exchange ideas freely.
- Marijuana stimulates your senses, and it is believed to enhance the taste of food as well as the sound of music.
- Cannabis is one way of unlocking your creativity. Some users have reported feeling more artistic, energized, and creative after using marijuana. When it interacts with the brain, it promotes an out-of-the-box thought process.
- After using marijuana, people feel they can persuade others also to believe their way of thinking or opinions. Users tend to become more receptive to any new information and ideas.
- It can bring out the child in you, and this feeling of lightheartedness can be quite helpful in overcoming everyday stress and anxiety.
- You may feel as if you are a completely different person after using cannabis. Some people, who are introverts and naturally shy, can overcome this social disadvantage, and become more confident and outgoing in social settings.
- Cannabis can help you mask negativity, and see life from a new, different and positive perspective, allowing you to appreciate the finer aspects.
- The release of dopamine can create a feel-good or a ‘high’ sensation after using marijuana, where you will even start appreciating the beauty of the world, without any negativity or inhibitions. Those who have used it have reported feeling more energized, relaxed, happy and stress-free.
Marijuana has its side effects too, and you should be aware of them. It is essential to find out whether the consumption of cannabis is legal in your state. Only then you should start your search for licensed recreational cannabis stores in Cotati.
Remember, anything in excess can have an undesirable effect. Take time to review your options carefully, and understand the side effects before you start using marijuana for recreational purposes.
If you are looking for a legal and licensed marijuana dispensary in Cotati, contact Mercy Wellness Center at 707-795-1600 or visit us at 7950 Redwood Dr #8, Cotati, CA 94931, United States. We are a reliable dispensary that sells medical marijuana to manage a variety illnesses.